Kennedy Center Board votes to restore Trump’s name to performing arts center
President Donald Trump's name is returning to the Kennedy Center.
The Kennedy Center's board of trustees voted to add President Trump's name to the facade of the performing arts center, more than two months after a judge ordered its removal, according to a Democrat who sits on the center's board.
President Donald Trump's name is returning to the Kennedy Center.
The Trump-appointed Kennedy Center board on Thursday voted to partially close the iconic arts center for up to two years during renovations and to re-add President Donald Trump’s name to the building’s facade, according to one person who attended the virtual board meeting and a second person familiar with the meeting.
President Trump's name may once again appear on the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. It came down this summer after a federal judge said only Congress could order a name change, but the president's allies apparently have a new plan. Ed O'Keefe reports.
The move sets the stage for a test of a judge's order that previously mandated Trump's name be removed.
The center has until next week to present plan to judge who had blocked earlier rehab and name changeUS politics live – latest updatesThe board of the John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington is said to have voted once again to move forward with Donald Trump’s controversial plan to temporarily shutter the building for substantial renovations, as well as to inscribe the US president’s name on the facade of its building, despite a federal order for his name to be removed from the signage.The board – mostly handpicked, staunch allies of the president – voted “to close the Kennedy Center’s main building, while keeping a newer addition to the campus, known as the Reach, open for limited programming and to operate as an active memorial to John F Kennedy”, according to the New York Times, which was first to report the results. Continue reading...
The board on Thursday also voted to proceed with a two-year closure for proposed renovations, which was earlier blocked by a federal judge.
The Kennedy Center will move forward with a two-year closure of the sprawling performing arts venue to allow for substantial renovation work, while some outdoor programming may continue. That’s according to two people familiar with the matter who spoke on condition of anonymity before an official announcement. The decision made Thursday comes after a federal [...]
Must they keep chipping away at their dignity?