Trump’s national intelligence director Tulsi Gabbard resigns
Gabbard is the fourth cabinet member to leave under Trump's second term

Everything seemed set for a photo op of tech and AI CEOs who would surround President Trump Thursday as he signed a much-anticipated executive order on AI and cybersecurity.Then it fell apart hours before the signing as a top Trump adviser and some tech executives gave it a big thumbs down — to a president who didn't really want to regulate AI in the first place.Why it matters: Any further delay of the order means more time for infighting and for the text to get bogged down in disagreements among different parts of the government and industry.Behind the scenes: Ahead of the signing, Trump, AI adviser David Sacks, and some in industry discussed the executive order, sources familiar told Axios. The main reason why the executive order signing was delayed was because "he just hates regulation," one source familiar said of Trump, adding that Sacks also "hated it.""The whole thing was unnecessary" and "just something doomers wanted," the source added. Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg, xAI CEO Elon Musk and Sacks all spoke with Trump between Wednesday night and Thursday morning. The companies did not immediately respond to requests for comment. What they're saying: "I didn't like certain aspects of it. I postponed it," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Thursday."I think it gets in the way of — you know, we're leading China, we're leading everybody, and I didn't want to do anything to get in the way of that lead."Those who have been pushing for AI regulation in Washington were relieved that the White House was finally going to make moves on AI and cybersecurity safety. Now it's not clear when — or whether — that is going to happen.Axios first reported details of what was going to be in the executive order this week.The big picture: Trump has been walking a tightrope of allowing American AI companies to flourish without strict rules while weighing growing public anti-AI sentiment, including within his own party.For now, the accelerationists have won out.One government official told Axios: "It could be CEOs, or egos in general. Everyone hates each other in the political tech space."One tech industry source told Axios there were also questions about why the Treasury Department received such a leading role in the coordinating security vulnerabilities in the postponed AI executive order as it was written.Typically, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency and the National Institute of Standards and Technology have taken leading roles in reviewing and testing critical security vulnerabilities — as well as notifying the tech ecosystem about them."It's not clear just objectively speaking why Treasury is involved and what is their substantive expertise in this area," the source told Axios. While there were lingering questions about which AI models would participate in the voluntary testing program, technology companies have been broadly supportive of AI model testing and guardrails.And leading frontier, or cutting-edge, models already do voluntary testing through the Commerce Department's Center for AI Standards and Innovation.Some questions also remained about whether sharing an AI model for up to 90 days ahead of release would prevent companies from also sharing with other allied countries who may want to conduct their own safety tests, the source added.What to watch: The White House's Office of the National Cyber Director has teased in private conversations that it is working on additional AI security initiatives besides the EO that had been expected today, the source said.
Gabbard is the fourth cabinet member to leave under Trump's second term
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard resigned Friday, citing her husband’s battle with a rare form of bone cancer. “My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bone cancer. He faces major challenges in the coming weeks and months. At this time, I must step away from public service to…
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, whose anti-war views spurred tension with the White House, said she was resigning from the post to help her husband confront a bone-cancer diagnosis.
Critics were left dumbstruck on Friday after President Donald Trump characterized a taxpayer-funded settlement he reached as an act of selflessness, a remark that some noted had also severely undercut his own past remarks.On his social media platform Truth Social, Trump complained Friday morning that he “gave up a lot of money” after agreeing to drop his $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service in exchange for a nearly $1.8 billion settlement, with the funds earmarked for payouts to those who allege to have been unfairly targeted by the Biden administration’s Justice Department.Trump said that in lieu of a personal payout that could have been an “absolute fortune,” he instead opted to “help others” who were “badly abused by an evil, corrupt and weaponized Biden administration.” His remarks also come after he previously claimed to not be “involved” in the creation of the fund.Trump’s framing of securing a nearly $1.8 billion payout from taxpayers to potentially secure payments for the president’s donors or violent Jan. 6 Capitol rioters, critics argued, was stunning.“Not content to just rip us all off, he expects praise for it,” noted author Jennifer Erin Valent in a social media post on X.Others, like podcast host “Hal for NY,” whose videos on YouTube have amassed more than 71 million views, pointed to what appeared to be a glaring contradiction Trump made in his remarks.“Funny, because he told us he had nothing to do with it. Now he wants a thank you?” they wrote in a social media post on X to their nearly 18,000 followers.And Joanne Carducci, a prominent Democratic political commentator, wrote to her more than 1 million followers on X: “I thought he said he had nothing to do with the slush fund?”I thought he said he had nothing to do with the slush fund? 🧐— Jo (@JoJoFromJerz) May 22, 2026
'Abraham has been my rock throughout our eleven years of marriage — standing steadfast'
Tulsi Gabbard notified President Trump she is resigning as DNI, citing her husband Abraham's diagnosis with an extremely rare form of bone cancer.
President Donald Trump urged Federal Reserve Chairman Kevin Warsh on Friday to ignore public musings about fiscal policy — even from the commander in chief himself — and operate “independently.” “Honestly, I really mean this. This is not said in any other way. I want Kevin to be totally independent,” he told the East Room […]
President Donald Trump says no one in the US is better prepared to lead the Federal Reserve than Kevin Warsh as he swears Warsh in at the White House as the 17th chair of the Fed. (Source: Bloomberg)