Trump’s national intelligence director Tulsi Gabbard resigns
Gabbard is the fourth cabinet member to leave under Trump's second term

The U.S. will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, President Trump said Thursday.Why it matters: Trump's surprise announcement came a week after the Pentagon abruptly canceled a planned deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland. The Trump administration had previously said 5,000 troops would be withdrawn from Germany and that further troop reductions in Europe were expected. Driving the news: Trump wrote on Truth Social that his decision was based on the election last year of Poland's conservative President Karol Nawrocki, whom he endorsed.Background: Poland has in recent months faced threats from Russia that included NATO and Polish forces having to shoot down Russian drones that had violated the EU country's airspace.Polish officials announced this week the detention of three citizens who are suspected of spying on NATO for Moscow and preparing sabotage and disinformation operations.The Pentagon referred Axios to the White House for comment on the matter. Representatives for the White House did not immediately respond to Axios' Thursday afternoon request for comment.By the numbers: The U.S. has around 80,000 troops stationed in Europe at present, with about 10,000 of those being in Poland, according to a Council on Foreign Relations analysis. The largest U.S. presence is in Germany, with more than 38,000 troops.Editor's note: This article has been updated with additional details throughout.
Gabbard is the fourth cabinet member to leave under Trump's second term
White House reportedly forcing Gabbard to resign, after she was largely sidelined from the roleUS politics - live updatesSign up for the Breaking News US emailTulsi Gabbard is leaving her post as US director of national intelligence following a tumultuous stint in which she was largely sidelined from the role as Donald Trump launched attacks on Venezuela and Iran.In a letter to the US president, she said she would resign and leave her post on 30 June. “While we have made significant progress ... I recognize there is still important work to be done,” she wrote. Continue reading...
She is leaving the role of coordinating the US intelligence agencies on 30 June in order to help her husband, who was diagnosed with bone cancer.
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard resigned Friday, citing her husband’s battle with a rare form of bone cancer. “My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bone cancer. He faces major challenges in the coming weeks and months. At this time, I must step away from public service to…
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, whose anti-war views spurred tension with the White House, said she was resigning from the post to help her husband confront a bone-cancer diagnosis.
Tulsi Gabbard, the top-ranking U.S. intelligence official, told President Donald Trump on Friday that she is resigning from her role following her husband’s cancer diagnosis, according to two senior administration officials.
Critics were left dumbstruck on Friday after President Donald Trump characterized a taxpayer-funded settlement he reached as an act of selflessness, a remark that some noted had also severely undercut his own past remarks.On his social media platform Truth Social, Trump complained Friday morning that he “gave up a lot of money” after agreeing to drop his $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service in exchange for a nearly $1.8 billion settlement, with the funds earmarked for payouts to those who allege to have been unfairly targeted by the Biden administration’s Justice Department.Trump said that in lieu of a personal payout that could have been an “absolute fortune,” he instead opted to “help others” who were “badly abused by an evil, corrupt and weaponized Biden administration.” His remarks also come after he previously claimed to not be “involved” in the creation of the fund.Trump’s framing of securing a nearly $1.8 billion payout from taxpayers to potentially secure payments for the president’s donors or violent Jan. 6 Capitol rioters, critics argued, was stunning.“Not content to just rip us all off, he expects praise for it,” noted author Jennifer Erin Valent in a social media post on X.Others, like podcast host “Hal for NY,” whose videos on YouTube have amassed more than 71 million views, pointed to what appeared to be a glaring contradiction Trump made in his remarks.“Funny, because he told us he had nothing to do with it. Now he wants a thank you?” they wrote in a social media post on X to their nearly 18,000 followers.And Joanne Carducci, a prominent Democratic political commentator, wrote to her more than 1 million followers on X: “I thought he said he had nothing to do with the slush fund?”I thought he said he had nothing to do with the slush fund? 🧐— Jo (@JoJoFromJerz) May 22, 2026
'Abraham has been my rock throughout our eleven years of marriage — standing steadfast'