
Scoop: DCCC launches 11th-hour ad buy against Maureen Galindo after antisemitic comments
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is going up on the air with ads attacking Democratic congressional candidate Maureen Galindo in Texas, Axios has learned.Why it matters: Galindo has been widely disavowed by Democrats over antisemitic remarks. She most recently said she wants to convert an ICE facility into her district into a "prison for American Zionists."Galindo is a sex therapist who finished first in the Democratic primary in Texas' 35th district in March.She is now in a runoff with Johnny Garcia, a local sheriff's deputy backed by the DCCC.House Democrats had been urging the DCCC to more directly intervene, though a source said the spending had already been in the works before those conversations.Driving the news: The DCCC is launching a $35,000 ad buy against Galindo ahead of the May 26 runoff, a spokesperson told Axios.The ad takes aim at Galindo's "conspiracies" and "hateful words," honing in on alleged GOP spending to support her and labeling her "MAGA Maureen."Garcia "will fight Trump, not help him," the ad says.Galindo did not immediately respond to a request for comment on this story.
Compare Perspectives
Scoop: Trump escalates citizenship crackdown
The Trump administration is temporarily moving immigration lawyers to the Justice Department to speed up efforts to strip citizenship from naturalized Americans, Axios has learned.Why it matters: Denaturalization cases have a very high burden of proof, but they're a priority for Trump officials who are searching for fraud in the legal immigration system. Zoom in: Lawyers at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the office for legal immigration services, are being temporarily transferred to U.S. attorney's offices to work on denaturalization cases, four former agency officials tell Axios. One source said staffers were being "volun-told" to move offices. A second source describe the transfers as lawyers "being force volunteered."It's not necessary that they have prior trial or denaturalization experience, just that they have an active law license, a third source said. "We are proud to support this critical effort by providing the Department of Justice with a team of our most skilled immigration law attorneys," said USCIS Spokesman Zach Kahler.Between the lines: The Trump administration tried to accelerate the number of denaturalization cases in his first term, creating a dedicated team of 10-15 lawyers. The cases identified by that team are "still kicking around," USCIS chief Joe Edlow said last September."There's a reason why 'denats' have never really taken off," one source said. "It's really hard to prove ... the standard is really high, and you need good evidence. A lot of cases, it's just it's not there."The legal burden requires proving "clear, convincing, and unequivocal evidence which does not leave the issue in doubt" in civil cases where someone willfully lied on their application.In cases where someone illegally got citizenship that they weren't eligible for, there can be criminal charges filed.The big picture: Justice Department officials have shortlisted 385 people for denaturalization charges, according to a New York Times report from April. In Trump's first term, USCIS claimed to have identified 2,500 potential cases but referred just a fraction to DOJ.The Trump administration filed 35 denaturalization cases since the start of the second term, including 12 as recently as this month, according to a DOJ spokesperson.A Justice Department memo from June 2025 also listed denaturalizations as a top priority for the Trump administration.Outlining the benefit of bringing these cases, the memo says pursuing denaturalization "supports the overall integrity of the naturalization program."In a statement to Axios, a DOJ spokesperson said it welcomed the assistance from USCIS lawyers "to advance the President's mission to promote public safety and root out fraud."The bottom line: Increasing the number of denaturalization cases has long been a goal in Edlow's crusade against suspect fraudulent immigration applications."I think it's just as useful to have a decentralized denaturalization process," Edlow said when asked about the denaturalization's unit in Trump's first term last September at an event hosted by the Center for Immigration Studies."If that gives rise to the need for a denaturalization, we're going to move forward. I don't need it specially sent to an office. I want every office using this as a benchmark," he added.
FBI launches ‘fittest agent’ competition for field offices
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is planning a new internal competition to determine the “fittest agents” across its nationwide field offices, the bureau confirmed to the Washington Examiner. The event will take place at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia, in early July and will include participants from all 56 field offices, according to an […]
Trump launches deluge of conspiracy theories with mere schedule change
President Donald Trump announced on Friday that he would not be attending his first son's wedding to Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson on an island in the Bahamas. Writing on Truth Social Trump said, “While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so.”But the elderly Trump had previously announced he would "try" to attend his son's second wedding, which kicked off a spate of mockery from online critics , who said they would be eagerly awaiting photos and videos of the president being "busy" over the weekend, golfing at his Bedminster club in New Jersey."Look weird if he misses his son's wedding day and then shows up at Bedminster for the weekend," said one heckler. Trump said he would remain in Washington over the long weekend, which the president traditionally spends attending events honoring service members who fought and died for the United States. Trump was scheduled to speak in New York for Rep. Mike Lawler (R), a top target for Democrats who believe they can win a race against him in November. Trump was then headed to New Jersey, but changed plans. The weather isn't great for the "Garden State," however, with rain predicted off and on all weekend. The conspiracy theories swirled. "A deal or [military] strikes coming soon…" suggested Ari Ingel, executive director of the Creative Community for Peace. One individual agreed with the likelihood, "Would be very Trump-like. Strike over the 3 day weekend then say it’s over by market open on Monday evening.""Time to bomb Iran to distract from… Epstein, ditching his kids wedding, slush fund, stock trades, gas prices… the list goes on," another added. If it is Iran-related, one observer was curious if it was to play the prediction markets. "Probably more insider trading...had to make it look like he wasn't going to go to lower Polymarket odds, so he and his family could make more millions on him making a surprise appearance," the conspirator said. Some wondered if perhaps the president was "too weak" to play golf in New Jersey over the weekend. Even an Iranian account, "The Hormuz Letter" took note, writing: "BREAKING: Trump has just cancelled his Trump National Golf Club trip this weekend and officially cancelled attending his son's wedding, citing 'circumstances pertaining to Government' and an 'important period of time,' choosing to remain at the White House for the entire three-day weekend. Tulsi Gabbard has also resigned as Director of National Intelligence.""Doesn't mean much. He started this dumb war while golfing and hosting a party in Mar-A-Lago. But yes, he needs a distraction and will likely attack Iran again while Congress is out of town for the holiday," replied a video technologist.
Texas Democratic candidate condemned for comments about ‘prison for American Zionists’
Democrats allege that conservative groups may be propping up campaign of Maureen Galindo for House seatUS politics live – latest updatesA Democratic House candidate in Texas is facing bipartisan condemnation and accusations of antisemitism after she said she wanted to turn an immigration detention facility into a “prison for American Zionists” if elected – leaving Democrats scrambling to ostracize her from the party and alleging that conservative groups may be propping up her campaign.Maureen Galindo is running against Johnny Garcia in next week’s Democratic primary for Texas’s 35th congressional district, which covers parts of San Antonio and portions of the surrounding counties. The district was once solid blue and is currently represented by a Democrat, but the race remains highly competitive after being made much more favorable to the GOP following Texas Republicans’ mid-decade redistricting efforts last summer. Continue reading...
Platner in the hot seat as Maine voters rip his 'horrible' comments amid Reddit scandal
Maine voters weighed in on whether Graham Platner's controversial past comments will impact his Democratic Senate bid to unseat Sen. Susan Collins.
Scoop: White House postpones AI EO signing ceremony
The White House has postponed its planned ceremony for President Trump to sign a new executive order on AI and cybersecurity, per a note seen by Axios.Why it matters: Trump suggested it's because he didn't like the order he was supposed to sign — another setback for an effort that has been stalled by internal disagreements.Driving the news: "I didn't like certain aspects of it, I postponed it," Trump told reporters at the White House."We're leading China, we're leading everybody, and I don't want to do anything that gets in the way of that lead.""I really thought that could have been a blocker and I want to make sure that it's not."Behind the scenes: Major tech, AI and cyber CEOs had been invited to attend the ceremony this afternoon at the White House.Per the note, the event has been postponed to a later date. Editor's note: This story has been updated with Trump's comments.
Trump-pushed rail safety bill added to transportation package, splitting GOP
The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on Thursday added a Trump-pushed rail safety bill to a major transportation package, in a move that divided Republicans and inflamed ideological tensions on the right. The Railway Safety Act amendment, brought by Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas), was approved in a 54-11 vote, with 10 Republicans and one independent…







