
GOP senator intends to see Pete Hegseth 'fired' before year's end: 'Christmas wish list'
Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) has a new item on his holiday wish list: the firing of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.In a wide-ranging interview with Politico Magazine published Friday, the retiring North Carolina Republican made clear he wants Hegseth gone before he leaves the Senate at the end of the year — and he didn't mince words about why."I'd love to see Pete Hegseth fired because he's incompetent and doing a horrible job," Tillis said. "That's kind of on a Christmas wish list."Tillis, who announced last year he wouldn't seek a third term, said his main priority for his remaining seven months in office is getting Republicans reelected in November — including flipping the House back to GOP control. But ousting the embattled Pentagon chief is clearly a personal mission."As critical as I am of Republicans, a Democrat-controlled Washington concerns me more," Tillis told POLITICO. "It may seem counterintuitive, but every once in a while, you've got to recognize when your party's having problems you want to correct them before it matters, and that is on Election Day."The senator also blamed Hegseth for the chaotic messaging surrounding the U.S. strikes on Iran, saying the defense secretary "misinformed" President Donald Trump on the challenges of the operation."I suspect that Hegseth cast aside concerns he was hearing from some of the finest people that ever served in uniform and took his cowboy-ish approach to going into Iran," Tillis said. "I'm glad the president did what he did in Iran. I'm not glad that he has Hegseth advising him on the details."Tillis pinned the administration's muddled public posture on the defense secretary directly: "Are we in a war? Are we not in a war? Are we in a cease-fire? Are we not in a cease-fire? Do we have a deal? Do we not have a deal? Are they going to have nuclear capabilities? Are they not going to? All of that I'll lay at the feet of Pete Hegseth and his incompetence."The broadside is the latest in an escalating war of words between Tillis and the Pentagon chief. Earlier this month, the senator went scorched-earth on Hegseth over reported plans to downgrade the Army's top command in Europe and Africa and push out four-star Gen. Christopher Donahue, blasting the moves as "amateur hour at best and deadly at worst."In that lengthy X post, Tillis accused Hegseth of disrespecting "our greatest allies and some of our best military professionals with impulsive decisions not grounded in reality or good judgment." He urged the defense secretary to ditch his "mediocre yes-men" and surround himself with "more patriots like General Donahue."Tillis told CNN over the summer that Hegseth was "out of his depth" running the Pentagon, calling his decision to halt weapons shipments to Ukraine "amateurish" — a striking reversal for a senator who voted to confirm Hegseth in January 2026 after a contentious 51-50 confirmation vote.Asked whether the White House is factoring electoral consequences into its decisions, Tillis didn't hold back."I believe that there are people in the White House who couldn't care less about what happens in November, and that goes to show you how stupid they are," he said.
Compare Perspectives
House Republicans rip into Senate for delaying immigration reconciliation package: 'I'm very frustrated'
House Republicans slammed the Senate GOP for kicking the can down the road on voting on a package pertaining to ICE and Border Patrol funding.
Warren torched over ‘my kind of man’ praise for Platner after death-wish post for wounded veteran resurfaces
Elizabeth Warren stays silent when confronted about her support for Graham Platner, whose Nazi-linked tattoo and disturbing posts sparked backlash.
House GOP Cancels Iran War Powers Vote for Second Day in a Row
The cancellation comes just after four GOP senators joined Democrats to pass a Senate war powers resolution.
Todd Blanche’s DOJ reign 'going to end with his disbarment': journalist
American outrage continues to grow as President Donald Trump's administration moves forward with its nearly $1.8 billion fund that aims to compensate Americans who feel they've been wronged by the government. Speaking on CNN this week, acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said that he thinks taxpayers "do want their tax dollars spent on things like that."Journalist John Harwood issued his own warning, "Does Todd Blanche recognize that this disgraceful chapter in American life is going to end with his disbarment?"National security expert Marcy Wheeler similarly commented that, given the frustration from lawmakers on display Thursday, it's entirely possible that Blanche could be removed from office. She shared law school Professor Steve Vladeck's recent post, which argues that the best way to defeat the fund is through politics. However, she doesn't think it's the only way to stop Blanche. "I think you START impeachment with Blanche," she wrote on BlueSky. "25 GOP Senators spoke up (in private) yesterday. 25+47-Fetterman = 71. Better yet, INCLUDE the dismissal of the Sedition verdicts NOW."Blanche only took over the Justice Department after Pam Bondi was fired, serving as acting attorney general.Vladeck's piece recalled that Chief Justice Roberts wrote in his majority opinion of NFIB v. Sebelius (which dealt with the Affordable Care Act in 2012). Roberts "defended the Court’s endorsement of Congress’s power to adopt the individual mandate by noting that it is 'not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.'"He urged, "One can believe in substantial judicial power without believing that literally every political dispute in our country can and should be resolved by unelected judges."Vladeck, too, turned to impeachment, which hasn't proved successful in the ongoing efforts to hold Trump accountable for crimes. He argued that despite the GOP majority, "impeachment itself is feasible in this House ... because forcing every member of Congress to vote on the record whether this brazen, corrosive, and affirmatively dangerous corruption is impeachable is itself a point worth fighting for (and fighting with our friends over)."
Trump: Stephen Colbert firing ‘beginning of the end’ for late night hosts
President Trump on Friday celebrated the cancelation of “The Late Show” with Stephen Colbert and suggested other late night TV hosts would also shortly be on the chopping block. “Stephen Colbert’s firing from CBS was the ‘Beginning of the End’ for untalented, nasty, highly overpaid, not funny, and very poorly rated Late Night Television Hosts,”…
US voters’ confidence in economy nosedives to nearly 4-year low
Americans’ confidence in the economy has dropped to a nearly four-year low, according to a Gallup poll released Friday. Gallup’s Economic Confidence Index sank to -45 in […]







